Saskatchewan Foundational and Learning Objective
N8.1.a: Recognize, show, and explain the relationship between whole numbers and their factors using concrete or pictorial representations (e.g., using a set number of tiles, create rectangular regions and record the dimensions of those regions, and describe how those dimensions relate to the factors of the number).
N8.1.d: Describe and apply the relationship between the principle square roots of numbers and benchmarks using a number line.
N8.1.e: Explain why the square root of a number shown on a calculator may be an approximation.
N8.1.f: Apply estimation strategies to determine approximate values for principle square roots.
N8.1.g: Determine the value or an approximate value of a principle square root with or without the use of technology.
N8.1.i: Share the story, in writing, orally, drama, dance, art, music, or other media, of the role and significance of square roots in a personally selected historical or modern application situation (e.g., Archimedes and the square root of 3, Pythagoras and the existence of square roots, role of square roots in Pythagoras? theorem, use of square roots in determining dimensions of a square region from the area, use of square roots to determine measurements in First Nations beading patterns, use of square roots to determine dimensions of nets).
N8.2.a: Recognize, represent, and explain situations, including for self, family, and communities, in which percents greater than 100 or fractional percents are meaningful (e.g., the percent profit made on the sale of fish).
N8.2.h: Analyze choices and make decisions based upon percents and personal or community concerns and issues (e.g., deciding whether or not to have surgery if given a 75% chance of survival, deciding how much to buy if you can save 25% when two items are purchased, deciding whether or not to hunt for deer when a known percent of deer have chronic wasting disease, deciding about whether or not to use condoms knowing that they are 95% effective as birth control, making decisions about diet knowing that a high percentage of Aboriginal peoples have or will get diabetes).
N8.2.j: Pose and solve problems involving percents stated as a percent, fraction, or decimal quantity.
N8.3.b: Identify situations (such as providing for the family or community through hunting) in which a given quantity of represents a:
N8.3.e: Write the symbolic form (e.g., 3:5 or 3 to 5 as a ratio, $3/min or $3 per one minute as a rate) for a concrete, physical, or pictorial representation of a ratio or rate.
N8.3.g: Create and solve problems involving rates, ratios, and/or probabilities.
N8.4.a: Identify and describe situations relevant to self, family, or community in which multiplication and division of fractions are involved.
N8.4.o: Create, represent (concretely, pictorially, or symbolically) and solve problems that involve one or more operations on positive fractions (including multiplication and division).
N8.5.a: Identify and describe situations that are relevant to self, family, or community in which multiplication or division of integers would be involved.
N8.5.f: Create and solve problems involving the multiplication or division (without technology for one-digit divisors, with technology for two-digit divisors) of integers.
N8.5.g: Explain how the order of operations can be extended to include integers and provide examples to demonstrate the use of the order of operations.
N8.5.h: Create and solve problems requiring the use of the order of operations on integers.
P8.1.a: Analyze and describe the relationship shown on a graph for a given situation (e.g., "The graph is showing that, as the temperature rises, the number of people in the mall decreases").
P8.1.b: Explain how a given linear relation is represented by a given table of values.
P8.1.g: Determine if an ordered pair satisfies a linear relation given as a table of values, concrete or pictorial representation, graph, or equation and explain the reasoning.
P8.2.1: ax = B
P8.2.2: x/a = b, a ≠ 0
P8.2.3: ax + b = c
P8.2.5: a (x + b) = c
P8.2.a: Identify and describe situations, which are relevant to self, family, or community, that can be modeled by a linear equation (e.g., the cost of purchasing x fish from a fisherman).
P8.2.e: Generalize and apply symbolic strategies for solving linear equations.
P8.2.g: Demonstrate the application of the distributive property in the solving of linear equations (e.g., 2(x + 3); 2x + 6= 5)
P8.2.j: Explain the algebra behind a particular algebra puzzle such as this puzzle written for 2008:
P8.2.j.2: Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold).
P8.2.j.3: Add 5.
P8.2.j.4: Multiply it by 50.
P8.2.j.5: If you have already had your birthday this year add 1758. If you have not, add 1757.
P8.2.j.6: Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
SS8.1.b: Explore right and non-right triangles, using technology, and generalize the relationship between the type of triangle and the Pythagorean Theorem (i.e., if the sides of a triangle satisfy the Pythagorean equation, then the triangle is a right triangle which is known as the Converse of the Pythagorean Theorem).
SS8.1.d: Create and solve problems involving the Pythagorean Theorem, Pythagorean triples, or the Converse of the Pythagorean Theorem.
SS8.2.1: analyzing views
SS8.2.2: sketching and constructing 3-D objects, nets, and top, side, and front views
SS8.2.3: generalizing strategies and formulae
SS8.2.h: Demonstrate how the net of a 3-D object (including right rectangular prisms, right triangular prisms, and cylinders) can be used to determine the surface area of the 3-D object and describe strategies used to determine the surface area.
SS8.2.i: Generalize and apply strategies for determining the surface area of 3-D objects.
SS8.2.j: Create and solve personally relevant problems involving the surface area or nets of 3-D objects.
SS8.3.1: relating area to volume
SS8.3.2: generalizing strategies and formulae
SS8.3.4: solving problems.
SS8.3.a: Identify situations from one?s home, school, or community in which the volume of right prism or right cylinder would need to be determined.
SS8.3.c: Generalize and apply formulas for determining the area of a right prism and right cylinder.
SS8.3.e: Create and solve personally relevant problems involving the volume of right prisms and right cylinders.
SP8.1.a: Investigate and report on the advantages and disadvantages of different types of graphs, including circle graphs, line graphs, bar graphs, double bar graphs, and pictographs (e.g., circle graphs are good for qualitative data such as favourite activities and categories such as money spent on clothes, whereas line graphs are good for quantitative data such as heights and ages
SP8.1.b: Engage in a project that involves:
SP8.1.b.1: the collection and organization of first- or second-hand data related to a topic of interest (such as local wildlife counts or surveying of peers)
SP8.1.b.2: representation of the data using a graph
SP8.1.b.4: description of the project, challenges, and conclusions
SP8.1.c: Suggest alternative ways to represent data from a given situation and explain the choices made.
SP8.1.f: Provide examples of misrepresentations of data and data graphs found within different media and explain what types of misinterpretations might result from such displays.
SP8.2.a: Ask questions relevant to self, family, or community in which probabilities involving two events are known or which can be researched.
SP8.2.b: Explore and explain the relationship between the probability of two independent events and the probability of each event separately.
SP8.2.c: Make and test predictions about the results of experiments and simulations for two independent events.
SP8.2.d: Create and solve problems related to independent events, probabilities of independent events, and decision making.
Correlation last revised: 9/24/2019